Here’s my take on the most important skills a copyeditor can provide.
As a publisher, you value a copyeditor who:
- knows your style guide inside and out
- knows how to query: respectfully, directly, conciselyView Page
- knows when to query: covers all the bases, but does not ask about things that are covered in the style guide, nor explain every edit
- uses good editorial judgement concerning when to apply language rules and when to leave text “as is”
- is perceptive to the nuances of the author’s voice and writing style
- is up to date on technical skills
- has exceptional organizational and communication skills
- delivers your project on time, with a great cover letter and a smile!
Some additional qualities that an independent author looks for are:
- assurance that I will not change or trample your unique voice and style of writing
- good communication from start to finish regarding schedule, contractual details, costs
- a finished product that exceeds your expectations
Hidden Hand Editing | 206.769.8780 | firstname.lastname@example.org